We're moving along. The foundation repairs are complete on 70% of the house. We found some rot we have to replace on the East side, but that's not unexpected. Due to some water penetration issues where the deck was on the back we had to remove it to waterproof correctly so we'll rebuild it in the next couple weeks. We've patched up the bulkhead in the back and broke out its side walls for infill. All of the rough plumbing and electrical are in. We ran into some hangups getting our inspections. One issue we discovered the water valve at the street was broke which required the city to come out and fix it. This took a bit longer than we would of liked, but we've been told it was fixed and are expecting to pressurize the system and get our inspection this week. We'll also be working on closing up the outside and if all goes as planned we'll be insulating by the end of the week. Stay tuned....
DEMO DAY!! There was a lot to pull out of this old house. Other than the plaster, lath and all of the old flooring, we also ended up taking down all of the interior walls. Once we were able to see the structure we were able to determine that the stud walls we planned to keep had to come down too. Most of them were built incorrectly weren't safe to keep up. We also ended up restructuring around the windows on the loadbearing walls to ensure the house is sound doesn't have any movement in the future. We rebuilt the stairs as well since they were constructed of 1x were not structurally sound. This is something we couldn't see until we had removed the walls on either side since it is not common even in the early 1900s to only use 1x for stairs. We kept as much of the existing materials as possible with the hope of reusing the materials elsewhere in the design. The new roof is on and we're ready to get the electrician and the plumber moving.
The house was purchased and measured. Building plans drawn up and submitted for permit. Demo will get moving while we wait. The house is about 1300 SF with bit of a funky layout. We're going to be moving the kitchen to the center of the home and adding a bathroom upstairs. Currently the home is a 4 bed / 1 bath. When we're finished it will be a 4 bed / 2 bath with a more open floor plan. Time to get to work!